On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 6:53 PM Peter Kokot <peterko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 11 May 2019 at 20:56, Peter Kokot <peterko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Not trying to rush anyone to something they have no energy working on
> > anymore here but what's the plan here then? And what plan is there
> > with these short tags on the long run?
>
> I'm just checking then why is this RFC in the pending implementation
> state if basically we're on a way to have the short opening tags in
> PHP for ever... Maybe we should then enable them by default to have
> the other way around situation of having both tags for few 10 years
> and then ditch the long one if it's not going to be deprecated in PHP
> 7.4 and decided what to do with them?
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/deprecate_php_short_tags

Girgias has put up a new implementation at
https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/4263.

If short_open_tag=On and <? is used, a single deprecation warning is
thrown. short_open_tag=On remains the default, so there will be no
accidental code leakage due to changed defaults. If short_open_tag=Off,
then <? in the code are ignored as usual.

I believe that addresses the implementation concerns and we can go ahead
with landing this RFC.

Nikita