On 20/08/2019 17:18, Peter Kokot wrote:
About the docs - there are
very minor changes needed where "backwards compatibility" is mentioned
maybe. Because they are not in PHP for keeping BC anymore now. Nobody
proposed a better solution than this RFC, then they are a feature.

Being "for Backwards Compatibility" and being "there forever" are not mutually exclusive. There are a huge number of things in this world which exist only to be compatible with an older technology or use case, but which will never be phased out, because the effort to change them exceeds the benefit.

On the other hand, I think it might be useful to have a status of "officially discouraged" distinct from "deprecated". I occasionally hear people ask to "deprecate" something without any particular timeline or criteria for when it would be removed; my suspicion is that what they really want is a clearer message to users that they shouldn't use the feature.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins (né Collins)
[IMSoP]