On 20/08/2019 17:56, Peter Kokot wrote:
Probably. But fact is that PHP opening short tags can be used. We can
enable them in controlled environments and use the short tags knowing
they will never be removed now. No deprecation warning is standing in
our way to do that now. And such code (or better put app) is honestly
now also not so bad. Because it will still work in at least let's say,
PHP 9 at least or considering the feedback and discussions for ever...
Also users who are already using short tags can now postpone the
upgrades for another ~5+ years at least :)

I don't think anything has changed in that regard. If there's text in the manual that short open tags are deprecated then it was wrong before this pair of RFCs; if there's text in the manual stating other reasons not to use them (portability, possibility of mixing in XML, etc) then it is still just as valid as it ever was.

If your impression was that the feature was already deprecated before the v1 RFC, and has somehow become *less* deprecated as a result of this vote, that may be explain some of the disconnect over the issue. As far as I'm aware, it had no such status, it was simply a feature that used to be more commonly used than it is today.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins (né Collins)
[IMSoP]