2019年8月20日(火) 16:47 Rowan Tommins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com>:

> On 20/08/2019 13:51, G. P. B. wrote:
> >    - I seriously don't appreciate that the RFC has been edited*WITHOUT*
> my
> > knowledge to add endorsement names on the counterargument to the RFC on
> the
> > RFC itself  when the appropriate place would have been the counter
> argument
> > document.
>

> While I appreciate that there is a certain implication of "ownership"
> when you are the author of an RFC, it is ultimately a resource for the
> community as a whole to understand the discussion, which is why the
> guide at https://wiki.php.net/rfc/howto explicitly mentions including
> both positive and negative feedback.
>
> The only problem I can see with other people editing "your" RFC is if
> later readers could mistake the edits for your own opinion; even if the
> whole counter-argument had been a section rather than a separate page,
> it would be clear that readers shouldn't do that. In this case, the only
> edits are to add a list of names, which is basically what the voting
> widget does anyway, so I really can't see any reason to be upset about it.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Rowan Tommins (né Collins)
> [IMSoP]
>

> --

Citation:

> Note: An RFC is effectively “owned” by the person that created it. If you
> want to make changes, get permission from the creator.

Taken from: https://wiki.php.net/rfc

I'm upset that a voting document is edited without my knowledge, and I
don't see why I haven't been asked (probably because I would have said no
to the edits)

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 17:18, Sara Golemon <poll...@php.net> wrote:

> This has been a topic of discussion in the past. The agreement was that
> non-author edits are permitted if they are isolated to a clear
> "counter-arguments" section.  If someone had changed the meaning of the RFC
> or of your arguments in favor of it that would be another story, but that's
> not what happened here.
>
> -Sara

Gotcha so from now on I'll just add a sentence "George Peter Banyard
supports this RFC" every time I'm in agreement with an RFC to the RFC
because having your name tied to a vote is apparently irrelevant, because
this is exactly what you did (but only on the RFC not the counter argument
page).

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 18:02, Chase Peeler <chasepee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think that now we need to fix the documentations out there. short
> > tags will stay in PHP for at least another 10+ years, so maybe we
> > should simply consider them not a part of legacy but a special kind of
> > a feature. There are some parts in PHP comments and docs that needs
> > this fixed and sorted out better a bit (probably - specially in the
> > ini files itself etc).
> >
> > I think we should still discourage their use. We should be explicit in
> the
> documentation that code which uses short tags might not be portable. Just
> because they exist, doesn't mean we should suddenly change our treatment of
> them when it comes to best practices. If there is any documentation that
> doesn't make this clear, submit a bug report.

The document has been discouraging their use for god knows how long.

> PHP also allows for short open tag *<?* (which is discouraged since it is
> only available if enabled using the short_open_tag
> <https://www.php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php#ini.short-open-tag> php.ini
> configuration file directive, or if PHP was configured with the
> *--enable-short-tags* option).

See: https://www.php.net/manual/en/language.basic-syntax.phptags.php

On a final note, I don't think I have anything more to add to this topic so
I probably won't respond to subsequent messages in this thread.

Best regards

George Peter Banyard