On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 20:35:52 -0000, Tuomo Valkonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 2007-03-06, Alexander Wirt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Maybe you shouldn't publish any software then?

The problem is that the mistake has already been made, and all you
can do now, is minimise the damage.

Tuomo,
I am consistently astounded by your attitude towards users of ion.

You have actually written a well thought out, very useful, piece of software. The kind of people who are going to be using ion are those who work in an "alternative" (we know WIMP is crap, but it is the standard) fashion. My guess is that this bunch of people are also the most likely to want to have "alternative" setups and otherwise customise the tool they use to get real work done.

However your comments appear to suggest that everyone should work exactly like you:

I don't like xinerama therefore:
- noone could possibly justify the use of a pair of monitors (or heaven forbid even more)

I don't want to support month old releases therefore:
- everyone should be constantly updating to the latest snapshot. And in fact compiling that from source - because as far as I can tell you haven't been bothered to make an interim 'stable' ion3 for people to settle on. In fact I don't think I've ever seen a 'stable' version since I started using ion3. How can debian et al. include ion3 at all if you never release a stable version?

I don't want to to subscribe to a mailing list...
- no mailing lists subscriptions ?? wtf? how are you going to get the email - would you prefer to use a newsgroup or a bulletin board / forum? Mailing lists need subscription so you can see what's being talked about.

The less users, the better. Users are a problem...
 - They are also the point of software - without them software is useless.

For someone who seems to have a reasonable grasp of what makes a decent WM, and what user interfaces should be like (which of course depends primarily on the user) you present an incredibly arrogant face to the world - something which you may or may not realise.

Don't get me worng I still think ion is a great WM, but you seem to have a very odd mental block with regard to people.

John

PS - still using 3ds-20051029 - xinerama support is important to me - and this has never really failed me (although I have got an interesting bug at the moment, the scratchpad is far smaller than it used to be on my work machine...)