On 2007-10-09, ,,, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Also i have some ideas and thoughts, which i compiled to kind of
> whistlist. Most is not a basic wm feature, but it would be nice in a
> tabbed, tiling wm. Maybe some of these already developed, but spending 13
> hours with the soldering iron, and 3 hours moving bricks every day, leaves
> me a small time to reading the documentations.

As mentioned in another post, I'm unlikely to be writing any new stuff
for Ion in the next handful of years, if ever. It's time for something
else, and GNU/Linux (and consequently *BSD as well to a slightly lesser
extent) is turning into such a clusterfuck idiot box, that I doubt
there's anything semi-usable to run Ion on after I'm ready to start
working on Ion4... aside from maybe Windows. Nevertheless, I'm likely
to put up an 'Ion3plus' repository after the stable Ion3 is released,
where users can contribute code moderated/edited by me, the malevolent
dictator -- or rather, editor. (A project with an editor that does his
job is like a journal with a good editor, whereas a truly bazaarian
software project is like writings on the toilet wall -- or the typical
wiki.)

> Policy settings for the new window creation. When i run some multyple
> window application (mplayer, gimp), it would be nice if i could set where
> must the spawned window must to be placed. Currently it's follows the
> mouse pointer. My idea is to be set a policy for every application (tabs)
> for the method of the new window placement. Three or four rules (same
> tile, some tile, any tile, float) would be suffice.

This is something of a FAQ. You can set somewhat rigid policies by the
winprops mechanism, as indicated in another post. I'd like the default
to be to place the windows in the frame they were created from, but
this requires application support. It should be doable by writing a
support module for the (typically ultra-complicated) FDO startup spec,
which I couldn't be arsed to do, but few applications that matter
actually support it. So in lack of that, placing windows in the
current window is the policy of least surprise.

> Auto size adjust for the fixed size applications at start. If i run some
> application like gkrellm, xmms, it would be nice, if the tile size
> automatically set, when it's start.

Maybe you can write a script to do so. I don't like it. Ion-friendly
applications should behave as if they were full-screen (single-document)
programs, adjusting to the size of their virtual screen -- the Ion frame.
For some smaller monitor sort of applications I did once think of writing
a support for so-called trays (nothing to do with the tiny system tray icons),
but couldn't be arsed.

> Switching the application to full screen mode, and back to the previous
> tile settings.

Umm... Mod1+Enter is a toggle, or what do you mean?

> Mouse aided tile resize.

You can resize with the rat.

> GUI based configuration tool for the keybindings.

But not WIMP-GUI, please. Rather, curses.

> Support for alternate keybindings.

It's configurable.

> Icon based, floating style application launcher.

Yuck. Well, for a touch screen kiosk sort of thing, a sort of sidebar
application launcher could be nice...

--
Tuomo