On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 12:38:54PM +0200, Sylvain Abélard wrote:
<snip>
> > GUI based configuration tool for the keybindings.
> > Support for alternate keybindings.
>
> I don't think there are many users out there still using the default
> keybindings.
> This encourages people to look at cfg_bindings.lua and make their own,
> which is IMHO an excellent policy.

<snip>

I use a mostly stock set of bindings. The bindings I did change were
mostly to move them to MOD4, a couple to add bindings for some scripts I
use/wrote, and a couple to make the edln bindings a little more
emacs/readline friendly.

Copying the default cfg_bindings.lua file into ~/.ion3 and then attempting
to customize it is not a good idea, it creates upgrade problems (which I
will grant you matters less and less as ion3 approaches stable) and
requires more effort to deal with in general than the much easier option
of just creating and overriding any bindings you actually want to change
in cfg_ion.lua (or in any other file in ~/.ion3 that you then dopath()
from cfg_ion.lua).

As to the gui config tool idea, there was a mailing list thread a little
while ago about creating a simplified binding format for ion3 and after
which I worked on a script for just such a thing, you can find it in the
scripts repository, that's not quite a config gui but it should be much
easier for an 'average' person to deal with than the lua config files (or
so was the theory of the people in the mailing list thread).

        -Etan