BCC has grown, albeit with some maturity/sore spots

We have a well established core group, but probably need to expand our
feedback
to incorporate those that may not be speaking up. Think users of the tools
rather than developers.

How do we get broader user-group feedback besides mailing list/github
issues?

Brendan:
#1 feedback he has heard - simplify syntax, still compared to dtrace
 awareness via conferences, etc.

Alexei:
 internally, writing programs is hard, struggling with verifier
  - working on llvm improvements
 many kernel hackers @fb have hacked up bcc tools for their own use case

Brenden:
 reach larger user group => collectd integration?
  command line users are the smaller subset of our potential audience
 intel snapd
 collectd
 others?

Going forward:
It's a big library, needs shrink/split
 both in terms of memory usage and disk size
 split out clang/llvm
 split out loader
AI: get some proposals into bcc/issues, either in documentation form to
start
 with, or code
 split header files
 split libraries
 start thinking about external tool integration

======
Alexei:
has started thinking about program chaining (generically)

mistake: tail call solved a need, but helper/map model makes it inflexible

prog chaining should be a single native instruction
 (not done until now because "too hard to verify")
now should be possible to introduce and verify cleanly
direct, indirect, and tail call support
 (stack preserving)
3 new bpf instructions
introduce global variables
verifier changes started
llvm support
 (looks like normal c)
configurable stack upper bound of function
loader would need to parse elf file
main() function concept, still callable via tail call

So far, the above is perhaps 10% compelete, so stay tuned.

======
Attendees:
Alexei Starovoitov
Bilal Anwer