Title: Message

> > But in routing code I would as
> > implementor check if a site came in at me and if globally connected
> > drop the packet and not let thru default route.
>
> This would be relatively easy to do, I suppose

Yes but I believe we need this in products quickly if we support Margarets rule which I do and can it be done as download rule upgrade to existing routers or will it have to be put in slow path.

> But note that there is (currently) more than that:
> site-border routers
> must also check source addresses of packets and drop them.
> This may get
> difficult as you have to have a way of configuring the fact
> that this is
> indeed a site border.  This can't really be solved by adding a route..

It is a compare and XOR operation on the address at the ingress point. If we apply Margarets rule-set which I support a site border router would only be dealing with site locals if it had no connectivity to non-site communications. So I don't see that problem per compliance. But to prevent errors the site routers could do the fix I state above as easily as ingress/egress border routers to a site from a public or private ISP.

> (Note I meant site/global border with site border above, not two
> different sites)

This is a good point to question. My read of Margarets rule is that the border router would not be configured to see a site on any interface?  The only reason to do what I say above is insurance for the network operations community in the product implementation.

/jim