Steven Blake wrote:
I'm having a hard time understanding why any of the
thousands of institutions with IPv4 PI address prefixes
would ever migrate to IPv6 if they had to give up PI
addressing.
They would not, but the way of providing them PI addresses is not to
punch holes in PA space that would lead us directly in the same swamp
than IPv4.

I must have misunderstood something really seriously here. What is the difference between how we allocate PI space today (well, there is no swamp space in IPv6 of course) compared to the GUPI model? If I have got all this right we are suggesting to take a prefix and use it as PI space, right? Now this is just a matter of the number of holes and the size of them? As an network operator there would be no difference at all.

Some here have claimed that GUPI would help to track down incorrect announcements but we can today already deal with RFC1918 space that is leaked.

Best regards,

- kurtis -