Hi Yaron,

I think this is a different problem from dropping UDP fragments, and, from my point of view, less important. For most of UDP traffic this is not an issue, because packets are small.
For TCP traffic IPsec gateway usually copies Don't Fragment Bit
to outer IP header, and usually this bit is set. If some intermediate router has smaller MTU, it should drop packet and send ICMP Destination Unreachable. Having received it IPsec gateway may store needed MTU value in SA and then report
this value to any host in protected network that tries to send bigger TCP
packet.
This behavior is irrespective to whether ESP-in-UDP employed or just plain ESP,
and is documented in RFC4301 section 8.

Regards,
Valery Smyslov.

Hi Valery,

There's something I'm missing here. Let's say we go for a solution where we fragment IKE packets into pieces of 576 bytes, at the application level.

Now, how do we determine the length of the ESP-over-UDP packets? Are you suggesting we fix them at 576 too, or do we need to have a (proprietary) path MTU discovery for this to *really* work?

Thanks,
Yaron