    Yoav> Trying to think up ways to deal with this, I can think of some:

    Yoav> * Get all ISPs to stop dropping fragments. This would be
    Yoav> great, but as the saying goes, you are so not in charge.

1) better diagnostics would help the end users point the finger
   properly.  I wish the POSIX/BSD APIs would give the application
   an error when a fragment assembly times out..

    Yoav> * Build a fragmentation layer within IKE, so IKE messages are
    Yoav> broken into several packets that get reassembled at the
    Yoav> destination. This is the path taken by one of our competitors
    Yoav> [1]. This means that IKE has segmentation in addition to other
    Yoav> TCP-like features such as retransmission.

I proposed this for IKEv2 awhile ago.  I twould be worthwhile for people
who like certificates.

    Yoav> * Use IKE over TCP. Looking at the IANA registry ([2]) TCP
    Yoav> port 500 is already allocated to "ISAKMP". We have had IKE
    Yoav> running over TCP for several years for remote access
    Yoav> clients. This was done because remote access clients connect
    Yoav> from behind some very dodgy NAT devices, and some of those do
    Yoav> drop fragments. Getting this behavior at the ISP is novel.

And ESP over TCP on port 4500?

] m...@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.