Hi Valery,

This is not a different problem, because whatever solution we choose, we must ensure the whole system is functional: both IKE and IPsec. Routers that drop IKE fragments will not hesitate to drop ESP/UDP fragments, too.

Thanks for pointing out Sec. 8 to me. I suppose you are right about the behavior of implementations in the case of ESP-in-UDP, but from a formalistic point of view, note that:

- RFC 4301, Sec. 8 says nothing about NAT traversal (ESP-in-UDP).
- RFC 3948 (IPsec-in-UDP) says nothing about fragmentation...

So we have a hole here.

By the way, I'm not sure that UDP packets are still typically small. There's more and more video on the Internet, and I'm sure some of it is NOT on Skype.

Thanks,
        Yaron