Dan Harkins writes:
>   Again, this could've been just like RFC 5114-- no fuss, no mess,
> no hullaballo. If precedence has been followed, none of this nonsense
> would've happened.

It is even easier to just drop the whole issue, and leave brainpool
curves completely out, no fuss, no mess, no hullaballo. There has been
precedence for that too, we have had proposals for IKEv1 which have
been dropped and never gone forward or never even implemented (for
example my revised hash format, notify message payload format etc).

All additions / modifications etc do require some considerations
before they are accepted. Things in the documents are not same (for
example number of groups, the fact that 5114 already defines ECP
groups for IKEv1 etc), time is not same (IKEv1 has been obsoleted
almost 5 more years after the 5114 was published) etc.

Also we do make mistakes, and we are supposed to be able to fix them.
If we are never allowed doing anything else than what was done before,
there is no way we can fix mistakes afterwards as this is how it was
done once before, this is how it must be done forever in the future
too.

>   I have a draft that will need to get updated and the clock is
> ticking on that (cut-off date is 22 Oct). I need to know what you
> want my draft to say.

What is this draft you are refering here? Some IETF draft or some IEEE
document?

>   Can you ask the IESG to just do what it has done in the past? That is,
> just update the registry to include code points for new curves without
> any bizarre notes or pointers? No fuss, no mess, just a few new rows
> in a table.

How about asking instead that do nothing, do not update the registry,
and if IEEE has problems with that they can fix their document to
refer to their own registries, or ask IANA to allocate new registry
which they can manage and use that...

I think the compromise Sean is proposing (i.e. add them as reserved
values to the IKEv1 registry, add note to point them to new registry
which defines them and create that new registry containing them) is
good proposal, and I do not see why you are so much against it? It
will allow using the groups in the IEEE, it does add one extra
redirection, but only implementors should ever need that thus they
should be able to follow pointers, it makes it clear for IKEv1
implementors that these numbers are not for IKEv1, which will make
some people (including me) happy.