> On 3 Mar 2021, at 21:36, Dan Harkins <dhark...@lounge.org> wrote:
>

>   Faster and more secure seem to be compelling reasons. Those reasons are
> probably more compelling for ESP than they are for IKE.

Yes. If we were back in 2008 and figuring out which AEAD we should be using and
they were both as unencumbered as they are now, maybe we would prefer OCB over
GCM. 13 years later, every IPsec implementation has AES-GCM, so to add OCB to a
product, it needs to be significantly better.  I haven’t seen recent numbers,
but if I remember correctly, the performance difference was in the single-digit
percentage points. It’s harder to quantify the security differences, but I
don’t think they were compelling.  However, these arguments apply to a product,
not necessarily to the protocol.  Adding this as an option for IPsec (and IKE)
is just fine, whether vendors adopt it or not.

>   The license for OCB always had some caveats like the code could not be used
> for military purposes which is something of a nightmare for a manufacturer of
> general purpose hardware/software. Considering how difficult it would be to
> ensure that your product is never used by a military anywhere in the world,
> that's probably enough of a reason for TLS to not support it. Remember how
> long ECC was delayed for (imagined) IP reasons?
>
>   IP is bad news. People don't want anything to do with partially encumbered
> technology. Now this technology is not encumbered at all so, yea, let's do it.
>
>   If an individual draft was to appear would the WG adopt it as a work item?

Up to the WG, but I would support it.

Yoav