> > Having the routers cache id-to-loc mappings is one thing; having
> > them perform id-to-loc mappings is something else entirely.  Yes,
> > the hosts will still generate such requests, but those requests
> > don't have to traverse the entire network if the local router knows
> > what to do with them.
>
> You're making a host of assumptions here. One of them is that even
> though the info is requested per-host, it exists as per-site.

no, I'm not making that assumption.  the only assumption I'm making
is that the mappings from id->loc are the same for every host, so that
they can be cached if they are used by multiple hosts.

> > I am fairly convinced that id-to-loc mapping needs to be more like
> > mobile-ip where you send a packet to the id and get a redirect to
> > the loc if the network can't route to the id,
>
> But what if the network silently (or seemingly silently, re ICMP
> filtering) drops your packet?

if the network does that, it's broken.  we can design protocols to
tolerate transient failures; but we cannot design protocols that work no
matter what arbitrary filtering the network imposes.  the network has
a responsibility to make a best effort to deliver packets to their
destination intact.  this is nothing new.

(note that I never said that the protocol would use ICMP for signalling
such things.)