Hi, Pekka.

Pekka Savola wrote:

> There are a large number of things to be said, but I'll just stick to two
> main points.  I've never seen much use for this specification, and I do
> not believe this specification is useful as is.

   As Erik said, I think that this draft has benefits over unicast-prefix for
   scope <=2.
   Each node can allocate group ID (32 bits) independently (without any user
   input,  without a fear of collision or any additional mechanisms).

> 1) I've never seen a justified reason why this is useful.  Apparently,
> the document aims to allow a node to generate unique link-scoped multicast
> addresses autonomously, without any user input, without a fear of
> collision or any additional mechanisms.
>
> First, there is no guarantee of uniqueness in the first place, as DAD on
> the IPv6 link-local unicast address was performed on the address, not the
> Interface-ID.  In practice, the collisions should be very rare, though.

   I don't think so.
   DAD on the IPv6 link-local unicast address also guarantees the uniqueness
   of  Interface-ID in the link-local unicast address.
   I beleive that there was a consensus on that (when the draft was
   published).

   As you said, this is wrong calculation :)

> Third, if we want to go down this particular path, a better solution would
> probably be to create a generic "multicast DAD" mechanism to verify the
> uniqueness of a group either on a link, or within a multicast scope.  If
> the applicability would be on the link, even unicast DAD mechanisms could
> be reused.

   I think "multicast DAD" is an another mechanism.
   I (and many folks) don't want to make a new mechanism for this goal
  (link-scoped).
   Link scoped multicast address is more simple and convenient.

> 2) the current spec uses the reserved field in such a fashion that plen=0
> and the other nodes not implementing this spec will interpret the
> link-local multicast addresses generated using this spec as SSM addresses.

   In unicast-prefix,
   to accomplish SSM, a node MUST: [RFC 3306]

         o  Set P = 1.
         o  Set plen = 0.
         o  Set network prefix = 0.

   Thus, the "network prefix" should be mentioned to distinguished the
  conflict.
   In this draft, "Interface ID" of link-scoped mcast address != 0.
   I think this clarification should be added in current document.

  Thanks,
  Myung-Ki.