Hello, please read at the bottom:

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 05:52, Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino wrote:
> > This is a fairly straight forward issue.
> >
> > see:
> > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-onlinkassumption-00.
> >txt
> >
> > 2461 says in section 5.2 :
> >
> >    Next-hop determination for a given unicast destination operates as
> >    follows.  The sender performs a longest prefix match against the
> >    Prefix List to determine whether the packet's destination is on- or
> >    off-link.  If the destination is on-link, the next-hop address is the
> >    same as the packet's destination address.  Otherwise, the sender
> >    selects a router from the Default Router List (following the rules
> >    described in Section 6.3.6).  If the Default Router List is empty,
> >    the sender assumes that the destination is on-link.
> >
> > According to the draft mentioned above, this statement
> > was made to allow two links, previously configured with
> > two different global prefixes, to be joined, without a
> > router and allow hosts to communicate using their
> > global prefixes.
> >
> > The problems of this assumption are discussed in section 3
> > of Alain's draft. The draft suggests that this assumption
> > should be removed from ND specs. Here is the suggestion:
> >
> >       The last sentence of the second paragraph of section 5.2
> >       ("Conceptual Sending Algorithm") should be removed.  This sentence
> >       is currently, "If the Default Router List is empty, the sender
> >       assumes that the destination is on-link.
> >
> >       Bullet item 3) in section 6.3.6 ("Default Router Selection")
> >       should be removed.  The item currently reads, "If the Default
> >       Router List is empty, assume that all destinations are on-link as
> >       specified in Section 5.2."
> >
> > To allow the scenario mentioned above to work, hosts would
> > have to communicate using their link-local addresses.
> >
> > This seems like a reasonable suggestion, any objections?
>
>       the "scenario" is not significantly attractive to me.  on the other
>       hand, the issue with the current conceptual sending algorithm (fallback
>       to IPv4 gets deleyed severely) is severe, so i'm all for the suggested
>       change.

I think this scenario is useful for IPv6 small-devices, so I don't quite agree
with you all.

I feel that we are undoing a lot of things and we will end up with no
autoconfiguration features at all. This might be a good thing
for sysadmins, though.

If I understand the onlinkassumption draft well, the main drawback
of sending packets on-link is that some malicious party would
be able to grab those packets. I wonder...., if you've got
a malicious party on your link, you're suck. Even if you send
packets to your default router, the malicious guy could grab ethernet
frames and stuff...

--
JFRH