On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 09:45:31AM -0800, Alain Durand wrote:

> You're assuming that the alternative to hinden/haberman is hijacking
> random prefixes.
> I don't. I see allocation of real PI (by real I mean registered) a more
> serious alternative.
> The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that the
> issue
> with the hinden/haberman draft is that those prefixes cannot be trace
> back,
> making them as good (or as bad) as ambiguous.
>
> I just saw a press release from a company building high speed network
> chips
> that claim they can process up to a million route at 40 Gb/s...
> so I'm honestly thinking that handing out PI to people who can justify
> the need
> is not as scary as it sounds, at least it would enable us to wait until
> we get something
> from Multi6.

Sure if you can provide a solution for PI addressing then you will solve
many issues in one... the question for you is then how these people
"justify their need" - will anyone who would be able to get a unique
hinden/haberman draft prefix be eligible for your PI prefix?

How do we control or throttle the allocations and not regret it later?
With current IPv6 adoption we don't have a problem though... (!)

Tim