> As we recycle 2461 and 2462 specifications I suggest that no additional
> names be added to the authors names for two reasons.

I don't think such a rigid rule is appropriate. Authors/editors should
be properly acknowledged for their work. If a new author/editor takes
over an existing RFC, they should be given appropriate credit.  As one
of the authors on these drafts, I would assume that sharing the
credits is a given, since I don't have the cycles to edit the
documents myself.

I think it's also a bit premature to be definitive about what the
final authorship should be. When the revised document is closer to
being done, at that point we can assess how much work was involved in
the new version, who did that work, and what the best way to
acknowledge it should be.

> The current authors worked for many years and earned their names on
> this spec.

That may be true, but it is certainly also true that a lot of what is
in the specs is a result of a lot of community input. If anyone looks
at (say) ND and thinks I'm an "author" of that spec, I think that
would be somewhat misleading. There was a real team effort behind that
document. (Excuse me for a moment while I reminisce for a moment...) I
also think it is also somewhat destructive to the IETF ideals to
somehow assume that I (or any other author on a document) is author
for life, no matter what happens. WG documents are supposed to be WG
documents - reflecting the will of the WGs. They are not documents
owned by authors. And as Jari has pointed out already, it's not
uncommon for revisions of documents to end up with 75% new text. The
original authors are hardly "authors" anymore in such cases.

Folks might also want to have a look at section 2.12
draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis-07.txt. It talks specifically about a
"contributers" section, which is intended to make it much more clear
who the actual contributers are. That would be a fine place to mention
the actually history of the document in more detail. I wish more
documents took this approach.

Thomas