Looks like we've got dueling revisions...

I agree with both your points: this Requirements doc ought to
use the same requirements words as the original RFC (I used
MUST just editing the original proposed text); and if the node
does not receive any RAs, it ought to use DHCPv6 to obtain
both addresses and other configuration information.

So, let's ask John to repost complete, updated text to reset
the discussion...

- Ralph

At 05:00 PM 11/21/2003 +0000, Tim Chown wrote:
On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 09:03:10AM -0500, Ralph Droms wrote:

>    IPv6 Nodes (acting as hosts) that implement DHCP, MUST use DHCP upon
>    the receipt of a Router Advertisement with the 'O' flag set (see
>    section 5.5.3 of RFC2462).

Section 5.5.3 of RFC2462 states "should", not "MUST".   You're changing what
the RFC says - is this change going to be made in RFC2462-bis?  Could you
clarify?

>    In addition, in the
>    absence of a router, hosts that implement DHCP MUST attempt to use
>    DHCP. In this context, 'use DHCP' means trying to obtain only other
>    configuration information through DHCP, not address(es).

In section 5.5.2 of RFC2462 it says "addresses and other configuration
information", not just other configuration information.   So the same
consistency question applies.

Tim