Hi Thomas,

The 2nd paragraph of the current node requirements draft says

   For those IPv6 Nodes (acting as hosts) that implement DHCP, those
   nodes MUST use DHCP upon the receipt of a Router Advertisement with
   the 'O' flag set (see section 5.5.3 of RFC2462).  In addition, in the
   absence of a router, hosts that implement DHCP MUST attempt to use
   DHCP. For IPv6 Nodes that do not implement DHCP, the 'O' flag of a
   Router Advertisement can be ignored.  Furthermore, in the absence of
   a router, these types of node are not required to initiate DHCP.

You said:

> For my tastes, there is too much protocol specification above (use of
> MUST language). Better to just cite the existing standards.

and:

   For those IPv6 Nodes (acting as hosts) that implement DHCP, those
   nodes should use DHCP upon the receipt of a Router Advertisement with
   the 'O' flag set (see section 5.5.3 of RFC2462).  In addition, in the
   absence of a router, hosts that implement DHCP MUST attempt to use
   DHCP. For IPv6 Nodes that do not implement DHCP, the 'O' flag of a
   Router Advertisement can be ignored.  Furthermore, in the absence of
   a router, these types of node are not required to initiate DHCP.

> Perhaps because folk have forgotten about existing text in 2461 &
> 2462? :-)
>
> From section RFC 2461 6.3.7:
>
> >    If a host sends MAX_RTR_SOLICITATIONS solicitations, and receives no
> >    Router Advertisements after having waited MAX_RTR_SOLICITATION_DELAY
> >    seconds after sending the last solicitation, the host concludes that
> >    there are no routers on the link for the purpose of [ADDRCONF].
> >    However, the host continues to receive and process Router
> >    Advertisements messages in the event that routers appear
> on the link.
>
> RFC 2462, Section 5.5.2 says:
>
> > 5.5.2.  Absence of Router Advertisements
> >
> >    If a link has no routers, a host MUST attempt to use stateful
> >    autoconfiguration to obtain addresses and other configuration
> >    information. An implementation MAY provide a way to disable the
> >    invocation of stateful autoconfiguration in this case, but the
> >    default SHOULD be enabled.  From the perspective of
> >    autoconfiguration, a link has no routers if no Router Advertisements
> >    are received after having sent a small number of Router Solicitations
> >    as described in [DISCOVERY].
>
> We can debate whether the current text makes sense, but it reflects
> the thinking at the time...

The text I have is this, let me know if anyone has problems with the text. I have
tried to stay true to 2461 & 2462.

John

5.3.1 Managed Address Configuration

   An IPv6 node that does not include an implementation of DHCP will be
   unable to obtain any IPv6 addresses aside from link-local addresses
   when it is connected to a link over which it receives a router
   advertisement with the 'M' flag (Managed address configuration) set
   and which contains no prefixes advertised for Stateless Address
   Autoconfiguration (see section 4.5.2). In this situation, the IPv6
   Node will be unable to communicate with other off-link nodes unless a
   global or site-local IPv6 address is manually configured.

   An IPv6 node that receives a router advertisement with the 'M' flag
   set and that contains advertised prefixes will configure interfaces
   with both stateless autoconfiguration addresses and addresses
   obtained through DHCP.

   For those IPv6 nodes that implement DHCP, those nodes should use DHCP
   upon the receipt of a Router Advertisement with the 'M' flag set (see
   section 5.5.3 of RFC2462) for address configuration.  In addition,
   in the absence of a router, IPv6 Nodes that implement DHCP MUST attempt
   to use DHCP for address configuration.

5.3.2 Other Stateful Configuration

   DHCP provides the ability to provide other configuration information
   to the node. An IPv6 node that does not include an implementation of
   DHCP will be unable to obtain other configuration information such as
   the addresses of DNS servers when it is connected to a link over
   which the node receives a router advertisement in which the 'O' flag
   ("Other stateful configuration") is set.

   For those IPv6 Nodes (acting as hosts) that implement DHCP, those
   nodes should use DHCP upon the receipt of a Router Advertisement with
   the 'O' flag set (see section 5.5.3 of RFC2462) to obtain other
   configuration.  In addition, in the absence of a router, hosts that implement