I'm just catching up on this thread ... I was off-line (sleeping) and found
it in my inbox this AM.

I'll follow up in a couple of hours, after I catch up on a couple of
pressing day job issues.

There is another issue with RFC 2462 that will fall somewhere among
clarification/update/revision of the spec in RFC 2462: the text describing
the use of the OtherConfigFlag and the O flag in RAs is slanted toward the
definition of the protocol for "other configuration information" as a
"stateful" protocol (if I remember correctly, the text in question is in
section 5.5.3 of RFC 2462).  There are both technical and editorial issues
with that text.  I'll follow up a little later this AM.

- Ralph

At 02:24 PM 12/4/2003 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi Tim,

> I guess it would be good to get Ralph's input here.
>
> Clearly clients may implement a subset, and if we consider that for this
> document we can either
>
> a) add references to stateless DHCPv6, but this is not finished so that
>    is not ideal
>
> b) use language that emphasises whether the client implements stateful
>    address configuration and/or other configuration options (and for now
>    we assume that these are the two possible subsets of functionality)
>
> Running with b) seems safer at this stage - it would add a bit of wordage
> but avoid the possible hold-up that Thomas hints at?

I'd prefer adding an informative reference to stateless DHCPv6, and mention
its relation to 'normal' DHCP.

Ralph, any suggested text?

John