On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:13:01PM +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> 5.3.1 Managed Address Configuration
>
>    An IPv6 node that does not include an implementation of DHCP will be
>    unable to obtain any IPv6 addresses aside from link-local addresses
>    when it is connected to a link over which it receives a router
>    advertisement with the 'M' flag (Managed address configuration) set
>    and which contains no prefixes advertised for Stateless Address
>    Autoconfiguration (see section 4.5.2). In this situation, the IPv6
>    Node will be unable to communicate with other off-link nodes unless a
>    global or site-local IPv6 address is manually configured.

Remove site-local as we're deprecating them?

>    An IPv6 node that receives a router advertisement with the 'M' flag
>    set and that contains advertised prefixes will configure interfaces
>    with both stateless autoconfiguration addresses and addresses
>    obtained through DHCP.

Perhaps cite 5.6 of 2462 here?  It hadn't occured to me that both stateless
and stateful could be used together.   Is this discussed anywhere else
other than 5.6 in 2462?

>    For those IPv6 nodes that implement DHCP, those nodes should use DHCP
>    upon the receipt of a Router Advertisement with the 'M' flag set (see
>    section 5.5.3 of RFC2462) for address configuration.  In addition,
>    in the absence of a router, IPv6 Nodes that implement DHCP MUST attempt
>    to use DHCP for address configuration.

Hmmm... in 5.5.2 of 2462 it says

   "If a link has no routers, a host MUST attempt to use stateful
    autoconfiguration to obtain addresses and other configuration
    information."

so it's not just for address configuration.  Perhaps cite 5.5.2 here.
M means use DHCP for addresses and other config info, O means just other
config info (an odd way for it to be specified, but... :)

> 5.3.2 Other Stateful Configuration
>
>    DHCP provides the ability to provide other configuration information
>    to the node. An IPv6 node that does not include an implementation of
>    DHCP will be unable to obtain other configuration information such as
>    the addresses of DNS servers when it is connected to a link over

Perhaps say "DNS or NTP" so that we emphasise it's not just about DNS.

Do you have a target date to release the next version of the nodes
requirements draft?  I appreciate it's a lot of work.

Tim