Margaret Wasserman wrote:

Hi Mukesh,

One of the issues raised was about rate limiting methods
suggested by the draft. The draft suggests Timer-based,
Bandwidth-based and Token-bucket based methods for limiting
the rate of the ICMP messages.

After going through the discussion about this in the archive
and thinking about this a little bit, I propose that we
remove the Timer-based and Bandwidth-based methods and just
keep the Token-bucket based method in the draft. (look at
the arguments at the end of this mail)

I would like to hear from people who would like to keep the
Timer-based and Bandwidth-based methods with logical reasons.

I'm not sure if these are logical reasons, but...  I am
concerned about making a change that will invalidate any
existing ICMPv6 implementations, unless that change is
absolutely necessary (e.g. to block a serious security
hole or to prevent a significant operational problem).

Would it work to state in the new draft that implementations
SHOULD implement the Token-bucket method, but MAY implement
the other methods?

I think that would appropriately encourage implementation of
the Token-bucket method without invalidating existing
implementations that use one of the others.

I agree with the sentiment here. Changes to this document should not affect backwards compatability. So, I would be opposed to making the proposed change unless we can determine that noone has implemented the timer-based or bandwidth-based mechanisms.

Regards,
Brian