I suggest dropping "stateful" from the description because of the potential
for confusion inherent in providing a "stateful protocol for *other*
configurations" with "stateless DHCPv6" [RFC 3736].

This confusion arises from the unfortunate decision to differentiate
RFC 2462 address assignment from DHCP-based address assignment by
designating the former "stateless" and the latter "stateful".  That
difference is more accurately captured in RFC 2461bis by describing RFC 2462
address assignment as autonomous.  But, "stateless address
autoconfiguration" is the accepted phrase with wide dissemination at this
point...

In any event, perhaps the best way to simplify the protocol would be to drop
the "O" bit altogether.  That is, make no attempt to control how a host goes
about finding the additional configuration information.  There was a brief
discussion about this issue at an IPv6 WG interim meeting (Aug 2002?).  If
I remember correctly, and at the risk of over-simplification, the
point of the discussion was that, if I'm a network administrator, under what
circumstances would I ever want to set the 'O' bit so that a device does not
use all available mechanisms to obtain other configuration information?

- Ralph