Jinmei-san - I distracted the conversation a little with my posting ... I
think we have come to consensus as you describe in
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/ipv6/current/msg02280.html
and we can consider the question of "how clearly we should specify the
stateful address configuration protocol" closed.  "stateless address
autoconfiguration" is the widely-accepted term and there is no need to
change it.

I had intended only to make the suggestion that "stateful" be dropped from
the phrase "other stateful configuration" (in RFC 2461) , because of the
potential confusion between "other stateful configuration" and "stateless
DHCP" (in RFC 3736).  There is also potential confusion because there is
no "stateless" counterpart to "other stateful configuration".

I also wanted to recall a conversation that taken place at the IPv6 interim
meeting about the usefulness of the 'O' bit ... however, if this
conversation is out-of-scope to the revision of RFC 2461, that's fine and we
can drop it.

- Ralph

At 07:55 PM 4/15/2004 +0900, JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= wrote:

> I think DHCPv6 ought to be cited as the protocol for other configuration
> information, as well.

> However, it seems to me the phrase "stateful protocol for *other*
> configurations" is a little misleading.  I think the word "stateful" could
> be dropped.

You're running too fast despite the prior notice:-) But anyway, this
thread is surely useful for rfc2462bis.  Thanks for raising this
topic.

(I won't try to make a response to each follow-up in this sub-thread,
but I've read all of them.)

It seems to me that we are discussing two (almost) different issues:

1. whether "stateless" is an appropriate word to describe the address
   autoconfiguration mechanism specified in RFC2462 (and bis)
2. whether we need the M/O flags in the first place

Regarding issue 1, I personally think "stateless" is appropriate, at
least in the sense that we don't have to reword it in rfc2462bis.

In fact, RFC2462 clearly says what "stateless" means in that
document.  For example, it says in Introduction:

   Stateless autoconfiguration requires no manual
   configuration of hosts, minimal (if any) configuration of routers,
   and no additional servers.

which means it's a "third-party-serverless" mechanism.  Also, the
following sentence clearly shows that it is an "autonomous"
configuration mechanism:

   The stateless mechanism allows a host to
   generate its own addresses using a combination of locally available
   information and information advertised by routers.

If we are making a brand-new specification, it might make sense to
reconsider the wording from the scratch.  However, "stateless address
autoconfiguration" has been used for quite a long period (almost for
10 years?), and is used in many documents, including in the title of
RFC2462 itself.

So, I don't think the advantage of rewording is worth the expected
confusion.

Issue 2 is a big question...it may even affect the "consensus" we just
made in the first (and original) part of this thread.  I'm going to
make a separate thread for this.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.