On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, JINMEI Tatuya / [ISO-2022-JP] [EMAIL PROTECTED]@C#:H wrote:
> - details of the relationship between each flag and protocol, e.g.
>   whether we should mandate to invoke the protocol or we can just
>   regard the flag as a hint and let the host decide if it invokes the
>   protocol (as Christian suggested), etc.

I support Christian's suggestion; they should be just hints.

No flag is going to force the node to run a protocol.  More often than
not, for implementation simplicity, I'd guess most nodes (especially
where DHCPv6 is available), the nodes are going to run DHCPv6(-lite)
in any case, whether they saw a flag or not.

On the other hand, absence of a flag is not going to prevent a node
from running a protocol.