>       i have objection to 5.4.5 "when duplicated address detection fails".
>       the text suggest that hardware-address-based linklocal address fails
>       on DAD test, "the interface SHOULD be disabled".

>       first of all, what does it mean by "disable interface"?

Good question, but I guess we need to discuss more fundamental one
(below) first, so I'll make a separate response for this.

>       moreover, even when DAD test fails for hardware-address-based linklocal
>       address, there are number of routes we can take:
>       - try again with random-number-generated linklocal address
>       - beep beep, call operator
>       - etc

I'd first like to revisit the discussion that led to the current
text of rfc2462bis.  If anyone who wants to join this particular
thread is not familiar with the past discussion, please first go
through it.

Christian Huitema started the previous discussion, which targeted the
original text of RFC2462 section 5.4.5:

  - http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg00926.html

After some discussion, Thomas Narten clarified the original motivation
of the specification:

  - http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg00949.html

I then proposed the current text of rfc2462bis based on the
clarification:

  - http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipv6/current/msg01514.html

Several people agreed on the change, including those who seemed to
have opposed to the idea of "disabling" the interface.  Hence the
current text is now in the wg last call.

The main point Thomas made is that DAD failure for an EUI-64 based
address is likely to indicate MAC address collision, in which case
disabling the entire interface is better rather than trying hopeless
recovery which may even make it harder to diagnose the real problem.
(I believe the current text of rfc2462bis clearly made the point, BTW)

In that sense, "try again with random-number-generated linklocal
address" doesn't make sense.  We could "call operator with a beep",
but we'd not be able to do that via network if the MAC address
collides.  So, IMO, it is not very convincing to argue we could rely
on such an outbound mechanism in a discussion about a network protocol
specification.

Meanwhile, we could also make a more fundamental question on whether
the analysis that Thomas provided (i.e., DAD failure for EUI-64 based
address probably means MAC collision) is valid.  If not, this can be
another reason to reconsider the current text.  I personally think
his analysis is quite reasonable though.

In any event, I understand this is a trade-off issue.  One can validly
support Thomas's analysis and argue that it's even better or safer to
disable the entire interface.  At the same time, others can validly
say it's overkilling.  So it's not surprising that we cannot get 100%
agreement on either side.  So far, it seems to me a majority of people
agreed on the current text with the rationale, and, while I'd respect
your concern, the points you provided do not seem to me strong
enough to reverse the decision.

Of course, I'm still open to others's opinions and/or further source
to reconsider the decision.

>       suggested change: replace "the interface SHOULD be disabled" by the
>       following:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I guess it's too early to discuss
specific change at the moment.  If we decide to change the past
decision, I'll come back to the proposal.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.