>There were >100 e-mails on the ipng ML at December 1999 about the
>representation.  Actually we considered the all possible characters.
>One reason to reject '_' was that it should be used for <zone_id>.

There are very few messages (around 10) in the archive that actually
discuss the specifics of delimiter selection (mostly with subject "Re:
Scope ID secret Cabal (minutes)").  The only message that I saw suggesting
that "-", "." and "_" might be reserved because they could be used in
the <zone_id> also said that he preferred "-" or "_" as the delimiter.
I'd say that message could be used to argue for either side of the issue.

  Bill