Margaret,

At 12:52 PM 03/16/2005, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

Hi Bob,

Should there also be an upate to the IANA considerations section asking IANA to list this allocation as deprecated?

Good question, I had not thought about that. What is currently listed on the IANA pages for IPv6 address space ( http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-address-space ) is:

IPv6 Prefix Allocation Reference Note ----------- ---------- --------- ---- 0000::/8 Reserved by IETF [RFC3513] [1]

  Notes:

  [1]  The "unspecified address", the "loopback address", and the IPv6
       Addresses with Embedded IPv4 Addresses are assigned out of the
       0000::/8 address block.

Since the part of the address space where these addresses are found is already listed as "Reserved by IETF", I don't think any IANA further action is required.

What I think is required (not sure if this happens automatically) is for the IANA to update the reference to the new RFC number when it is published. I will add that to the IANA considerations section.

Thanks,
Bob