Iljitsch,

At 03:53 AM 03/19/2005, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

I think it's important to spell out that IPv4-mapped addresses aren't being deprecated, along with a reference to where they're defined.

I am reluctant to have the text describing the IPv4 Mapped addresses say they are "not deprecated" because I think it is best to specify what is deprecated instead of what is not deprecated. For example, we only say Site-Local is deprecated, we don't say that Link-Local is not deprecated, etc., etc.

I can make the IPv4-compatible text clearer about what is being deprecated.

Current text:

   The first termed an "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address" was defined to
   assist in IPv6 transition.  These addresses are now deprecated
   because the current IPv6 transition mechanisms no longer use them.

Proposed text:

   The first termed an "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address" was defined to
   assist in IPv6 transition.  The "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address" are
   now deprecated  because the current IPv6 transition mechanisms no
   longer use them.

Is that OK?

The IPv4-mapped address are defined in the IPv6 Address Architecture (i.e., in this document) so adding a reference would be problematic :-)

Bob