On 21-mrt-05, at 18:58, Bob Hinden wrote:

I think it's important to spell out that IPv4-mapped addresses aren't being deprecated, along with a reference to where they're defined.

I am reluctant to have the text describing the IPv4 Mapped addresses say they are "not deprecated" because I think it is best to specify what is deprecated instead of what is not deprecated.

:-)

I can make the IPv4-compatible text clearer about what is being deprecated.

Current text:

   The first termed an "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address" was defined to
   assist in IPv6 transition.  These addresses are now deprecated
   because the current IPv6 transition mechanisms no longer use them.

Proposed text:

   The first termed an "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address" was defined to
   assist in IPv6 transition.  The "IPv4-compatible IPv6 address" are
   now deprecated  because the current IPv6 transition mechanisms no
   longer use them.

Is that OK?

This part was never the problem. The problem is that immediately afterwards, it says:

A second type of IPv6 address which holds an embedded IPv4 address is
also defined. This address type is used to represent the addresses
of IPv4 nodes as IPv6 addresses. This type of address is termed an
"IPv4-mapped IPv6 address" and has the format:

Now it doesn't say that IPv4-mapped addresses are also deprecated, but I'll promise you that a significant number of people are going to think that they are because of apparent guilt by association. The fact that the "IPv4-compatible" and "IPv4-mapped" are highly abstract and not easy to tell apart for someone new to the material isn't going to help either.

The IPv4-mapped address are defined in the IPv6 Address Architecture (i.e., in this document) so adding a reference would be problematic :-)

Not unless this part constitutes the entire definition. A little recursion can work wonders now and then.