> 0. Should we solve this problem at all?

  Yes.

  Our boxes are shipped with a console port but the preferred
  manual configuration method is through the browser. The
  preference is to plug the device onto the network and open
  the browser and type

  http://[v6.fe80::cafe:f00d???fxp0]:8081

  to get the Java based management console.

> 1. Should we proceed using "_" (or some other non-percent character)?
> 2. If not, should we proceed using "%25"?
> 3. If not, should we proceed using "%"?

  I'd prefer having a character other than "_" but not keen on
  maintaining the "%" for the copy+paste sake.

  -- Qing