>> 0. Should we solve this problem at all?

>   Yes.

>   Our boxes are shipped with a console port but the preferred
>   manual configuration method is through the browser. The
>   preference is to plug the device onto the network and open
>   the browser and type

>   http://[v6.fe80::cafe:f00d???fxp0]:8081

>   to get the Java based management console.

As I said in the previous message, this example cannot be the reason
for answering YES to question 0, at least to me, or at least in the
original sense of RFC4007.

If we are going to invent something different beyond the scope of
RFC4007, the conclusion may differ, of course.

Perhaps we need the -1th question in the first place:

  -1. are we going to force URL/URI parsers to understand the detailed
      semantics of the scoped address syntax and to strip the zone ID
      (+ delimiter) part by itself, which is against the sense of
      RFC4007?

If the consensus on this question is YES, then we can also say YES to
the 0th question with this example.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.