At 02:24 09/04/2005 +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:

I think the ICMPv6 draft should add some words to raise awareness about ICMP-based attacks that can be performed against transport protocols.

Any text suggestions -- just to have an idea how verbose and explicit you're looking at; did you refer to the proposed text below, or something more extensive?

I referred to the text you had proposed. However, maybe a few additional words could be added. With the current specs, you either have IPsec, or no counter-measures at all. So I think the ICMP spec should say something like "transport protocols SHOULD use the information contained in the ICMP payload to validate the received ICMP messages". Probably not in the "Security Considerations section", but earlier in the spec.

By the way, one additional ICMP attack that could possibly be included in 5.2:
6. As the ICMP messages are passed to the upper-layer processes, it
is possible to perform attacks on the upper layer protocols
(e.g., TCP) with ICMP [TCP-attack]. Protecting the upper layer
with IPsec mitigates this problem, though the upper layers may
also perform some form of validation of ICMPs on their own.
Where [TCP-attack] is an informative reference to draft-gont-tcpm-icmp-attacks-03.txt.

Yes, something like this should be added. I thought it already was there, but apparently not...

Yes, this text has not yet been added.

Another issue that may be worth considering is suggesting that the so-called "hard errors" should not necessarily be considered "hard". While there's no RFC 1122 for IPv6 (and thus you might say there's no such thing as "hard errors" and "soft errors" in v6), I think everyone will extrapolate RFC 1122's statements on soft and hard errors to the ICMPv6 specification.

Even if I may agree with this sentiment, IMHO it seems to go too much on the side of the transport protocols, and doesn't seem to be appropriate in this document. The above already a provides a pointer.

Note that I'm not saying the ICMPv6 should say whether connections should be aborted upon receipt of ICMP errors or not. I'm saying that maybe the spec could suggest what the errors being reported "mean". E.g., is a "Port unreachable" a soft or a hard error?
With this information, a transport-protocol designer could elaborate the policy of reaction to ICMP errors.

I think that part of RFC 1122 that discusses which ICMP errors are soft or hard is a complement to the ICMPv4 spec. Then, when RFC 1122 says "TCP SHOULD abort...", *that* is the transport-protocol stuff.

-- Fernando Gont e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] || [EMAIL PROTECTED]