On 22-jul-2005, at 22:18, Bob Hinden wrote:

In my personal view, having devices on shared media with different MTU's is just a bad idea. Trying to get it to work is complicated and I think it will have lots of nasty failure cases. If one wants to have mixed speeds (like the example above) then use the default MTU (i.e., 1500) or replace the GbE-Switch with a Router. If one wants Jumbo Frames, then make sure all of the nodes on the link support 1000Base-T.

Unfortunately 1000baseT (is that the correct designation?) doesn't equal jumboframe capability, so the problem remains.

Don't forget that management issues in layer 2 networks (= a single layer 3 subnet) are very different from those on the global internet: most layer 2 networks are managed by a single organization. Since we had the hubris to think we could do PMTUD for the global internet, I think we shouldn't shy away from doing the same thing for layer 2. As always, the operator community will decide wheter what we come up with is usable in practice.