Fred,

> The suggestion actually comes from Matt's document, I just
> pointed it
> out and suggested a simple first-burst implementation.
>    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pmtud-method-04.txt
>    "Path MTU Discovery", Matt Mathis, 22-Feb-05

Section 4.2 of: 'draft-templin-ipvlx-02.txt' proposes a link adaptation
method for tunnels that uses a probing strategy similar to what is
described in 'draft-ietf-pmtud-method-04.txt' and also observes most
of the tunnel MTU/MRU determination rules specified in section 3 of
'draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2-07.txt'. The proposal supports GbE jumbo
frame MTUs on a per-decapsulator basis and also allows host-based
segmentation for sending the larger packets when the decapsulator
can accept jumbo frames but some L2 switch on the path cannot.

This is being mentioned for the sake of providing completeness to
this discussion, since it addresses the case of tunnels being used
instead of native IPv6 in some deployment scenarios. Although I
cannot give a schedule, the document is due for an update after
the I-D repository re-opens following IETF63.

Fred