Hi Fred.

Fred Baker wrote:
On Aug 8, 2005, at 7:24 PM, Greg Daley wrote:

I'm not sure anyone is doing it, but renumbering is applicable there as a means of providing information about which prefixes are valid.

One of the outcomes of the v6ops WG last week was the observation that the Router Renumbering Protocol is not widely implemented, and when renumbering-in-anger persuant to

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-renumbering- procedure-05.txt "Procedures for Renumbering an IPv6 Network without a Flag Day", Fred Baker,
  18-Mar-05, <draft-ietf-v6ops-renumbering-procedure-05.txt>

was tested by the 6net folks, it was found wanting in a variety of ways. Basically, it made the special case where you want to distribute a new aggregated prefix and maintain the same subnet number distribution (such as "I have changed upstream provider") pretty simple, but didn't cover any of the other cases in which one might want to renumber, and didn't handle any of the nuances like making sure this also happened in route maps, aggregation filters, qos classification filters, etc.

As the discussion proceeded, we basically decided that renumbering (and more generally number distribution and number use policy) was the province of the network management folks, perhaps netconf. They need to decide how to manage a network, and if a protocol like RRP is part of that, specify a set of requirements for it. RRP at minimum needs work, and I would suggest it be declared "historic" and replaced with a new protocol if such a definition happens.

Sure.   I guess that if automated generation of policy mappings for
source address selection are required then it would be useful to
work on this in concert with the main thrust of network management.

Moving RRP to Historic may leave questions unanswered in peoples'
heads regarding the ISP change scenario, but I really think moving the
focus to SHIM6 (which provides host-to-host survivability of
renumbering events) may actually be the better course (Shim6 people can
take aim now).

What's reasonable here with regard to address usage is to provide
indications of the network's perception of differences between addresses
to hosts.   The actual task of managing the network's perception
isn't really any different in DHCPv6 or Router Discovery (it's either
automated or manual).  The hosts receiving the default policy aren't
ever aware of the mechanism used.

As you mention, RRP may not be a valid way to do this configuration
today (or in future), but config files, SNMP and misuses of RADIUS
(not actually recommended) may be.

Greg