> If we want the architecture to move towards a flat identifier space
> (whether fixed length or crammed into 128 bits) we need a way to do
> lookups that scale to when every host on the planet has such an
> identifier.

We do not necessarily need such "a way to do lookups" that scales.

Indeed for some architectures for how these identifiers might be used,
we would need such a mechanism.

But other architectures might have other ways of doing things (like
referals might carry something other than just one of these flat
identifiers).

I think it might be helpful to understand all the different ways
referals might be passed, and then in each case, what lookupability
properties the various names, and locators would need to have.

                        -Tim Shepard