[Reply-To set to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 IETF == protocols, RIRs == address space policy]

Christopher Martin wrote:
[..]
> The next step is for us to acquire address space and an AS number so we can
> use the interconnection, however this is where we have hit issues. Our local
> IP addressing registrar, APNIC, is a purely commercial organisation and has
> no interest in assisting us, refusing to even let us plead our case. Our
> membership fees can cover the AU$1000 they charge for an AS number, but the
> AU$5000 per year membership fee required to get any sort of addressing is
> more than we can afford. The pricing structure of APNIC assumes you want
> IPv4 addressing, which we do not, and they have no options for IPv6 only.

The certainly do have options for IPv6 only. See:
http://www.apnic.net/docs/corpdocs/member-fee-schedule.html
Which means small: $2500 US which translates to $3750 AU.

> Given the vast unplumbed depths of IPv6 available this seems a little
> unfair.

[snipped from below]
> The network will provide a fixed cost connectivity option for people
> who may not be able to afford the costs of regular broadband internet
> access.

What would be unfair is if a "non-profit" organization could get a
'cheaper' prefix than a commercial organization. Especially because you
are in direct competition with them. That your business model doesn't
give you enough funding doesn't mean that would become an option.
Then again politics on this planet seem to like those kind of constructs.

"Pricing" is globally mostly the same btw.

> Is there address space made available for research purposes, or is there
> space set aside for not-for-profit use?

Your best bet is to contact AARNet (http://www.aarnet.edu.au), they are
in Australia for research and education and already provide IPv6
connectivity. They might be able to help you out.

There is also at least one project which has received their own IPv6
allocation and  is also non-profit. Maybe OCCAID (http://www.occaid.org)
can help you out.

Thirdly there is an "Experimental IPv6 Allocation" policy:
See: http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ipv6policy.html

> We feel that we have something to offer the IPv6
> community, by both providing users a broadband path directly to 6bone,
> rather than through long distance tunnels, and as we plan to implement many
> links as purely IPv6 it provides a potential demonstration of the next
> generation of networks. It also will reveal any issues with IPv6 over
> wireless.

These tests have already been conducted by many many many many other
folks. Google for the papers on this subject.

BTW: 6bone is dead per 6/6/6.

Greets,
 Jeroen