Chris,

One thing to consider as others have pointed out is that, RIR fees do not
typically treat non-profits any better than for-profits.  The RIRs
themselves are technically non-profit corporations and they are charging for
management and allocation of address space, not what you do with them.  So
fees would typically apply the same whether you are commercial ISP or not.

One exception however is in ARIN (RIPE may have this also, not sure about
APNIC as I never dealt with them previously) has an experimental allocation
service, which reduces the fees than that of regular allocation.  These
experimental allocations are not designated for research networks to be used
for long term-- b/c if you are given an experimental allocation for reduced
fee, it is only short term lease, and you would need to describe the outcome
and purpose of your research for the duration of that lease.  But if you are
looking to provide long-term services like you are with your project, your
best bet is to take the RIR's cost for regular allocation, then divide it by
the number of members you have and have everyone pay a portion of it to get
it going..

At lease this is how most governmental and private-sector funded research
networks are run.  They charge membership fee, and use that to pay costs
like this; if there is no membership fee, and then have everyone bear the
cost of RIR fees.  Besides, if you don't have enough members on your network
that cost-sharing model doesn't work out, then you probably won't be able to
meet RIR's policies for getting a /32 space either if you have that little
users.

Hope this helps..

Regards,

James Jun