After doing some further research I seem to have answered my own question.

In APNICs case, they ask you to join as an associate member, after which
experimental allocations can be acquired. As that level of membership is
under AU$1000 per year and provides access to AS Numbers this is a very
acceptable solution.

I will propose this as a solution to our steering committee. Thanks for
everyone's help. Wish us luck!