Yes, I've been of the opinion for some time that the IP over ATM and other nonbroadcast links work might be relevent. The arugment against this has been that 802.16 nodes don't have direct contact with their neighbors because they have to go through the base station, but I am not sure why this is of any consequence for the IP layer.

Perhaps the charter should mention that this previous work will be reviewed and built upon if it is found to be a technically sound match.

           jak

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Erik Nordmark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <ipv6@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 10:13 AM
Subject: RE: WG Review: IP over IEEE 802.16 Networks (16ng)

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Nordmark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

IEEE 802.16 also has different support for broadcast and
multicast than
Ethernet (don't you love it when IEEE 802 designs standards
that don't
conform to the IEEE 802.1 LAN service model ;-)

Folks have talked about two ways of addressing this (so that ARP,
Neighbor Discovery and applications use of IP multicast can
be supported)
  - a multicast emulation sublayer
  - in addition, figure out ways that Neighbor Discovery can
rely on less
    multicast

Unfortunately, the proposed charter doesn't make it clear what the
approach will be for multicast.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I wonder if much of the work done in the
old ION working group wouldn't also apply here. There were ARP servers
and multicast servers, for example. All the same set of problems recur,
when the link layer is non-broadcast.

RFCs 2022 (multicast support), 2225 (classical IP over ATM), 2332
(next-hop resolution), 2684 (encapsulation for basic non-dynamic ATM
links).

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Bert