Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le Mercredi 10 Mai 2006 10:35, marcelo bagnulo braun a écrit :
>
>>ulas and private address can be used to reach a global destiantion
>>address heavily depending on the local setup, hence local
>>configuration per case is needed in the general case...
>

> This assumes that one may use an ULA (IPv6) to reach a globally routable
> (IPv6) address. In other words, that someone has introduced some kind
> of NAT or transparent proxy in the middle. I'm not so gullible as to
> believe that nobody will ever try to implement this, but... if some
> network administrator really wants to provide “transparent” IP-layer
> access to the globally routable IPv6 Internet, shouldn't (s)he hands
> out public IPv6 addresses/prefix(es) to his/her users, possibly in
> addition to ULAs?

A more probable solution is to have all the client PC's on ULA, and all
the servers have a globally routeable IPs.  clients should still be able
to reach the servers, and visa versa, they just can't reach other hosts
out on the internet.

> What would be wrong with the IPv6 stack throwing an unreachable error
> whenever an application tries to send a packet/connect to a global IPv6
> address while its socket is bound to an ULA or while the host has no
> global (or at least has no non-ULA-nor-link-local) addresses?

The Correct Solution(tm) for this entire problem (IMHO) is for Pekka to
make sure that the gateway box for the client PC's throws an unreachable
error back to the hosts when it realises it can't forward it out to the
Internet.  The client boxes should detect the unreachable and give up
immediately and fall back to IPv4.

Also, Pekka should use /etc/gai.conf to modify glibc's preferences as to
which one it prefers.  I however can't find this documented anywhere,
however it does seem to be available in the most recent fedora packages.