> jak>> Dunno. Most of the terminal engineers I've talked to
 > don't want to
 > bring up the traffic channel at all if the terminal is in
 > dormant mode.
 > They're comparing that kind of a design to what they
 > currently have where
 > dormant mode is entirely controlled by the circuit switched
 > network. There's
 > no need to bring up the circuit switched traffic channel,
 > everything is
 > handled through the narrowband paging channel. It's kind of
 > like owning a
 > Toyota Prius (60 mpg) and somebody telling you that the next
 > generation is
 > going to get the same gas milage as a Corolla (40 mpg). It's
 > still better
 > than a Chevy Tahoe (maybe 12 mpg) but it's not a
 > particularly compelling
 > tradeoff.

=> That's not a good analogy IMO because your tradeoff is focused on one
set of features. If they didn't see the benefits of moving from circuit
switched networks to IP, none of these systems would have mandated IP in
their next generation. The argument above seems to come from the point
of view of wanting everything for free. That's never the case.

Hesham