Hello Erik,

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Nordmark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 12:31 PM
To: Syam Madanapalli
Cc: Francis Dupont; ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Proposal to change aspects of Neighbor Discovery

Syam Madanapalli wrote:
eady dealing with dormant mode, but network layer
> may be disturbing this mode; so the draft is proposing few
changes to
> the network layer.

Syam,
Is the link layer on the Access point/Base station aware of
when a host
goes dormant and when it wakes up?

If it is, then it could apply the FRD technique when the host
wakes up.

I am not sure if this works.
Let us say the router lifetime is X seconds
and the host wakes up every Y seconds to retrieve
any packets from the AP/BS.
If Y > X then we are not solving the problem.
Even if we want use FRD, it still useful to increase
the router lifetime hence the periodic RA's interval.

This way I see the FRD is orthogonal to the changes
that we are proposing.

That would be more efficient than having all the hosts (that are not
dormant) send periodic RS messages to get new RAs.

There are no periodic RSs, host explicitly solicits if
it does not get an RA to update the parameters which are
expiring.

This assumes that the Access point/Base station can filter
out packets
that should cause the host to be paged/woken up, but that
doesn't sound
too hard.

It may not be a good idea to filter the RAs, a router
may be sending a multicast RA with new information.

The easiest way to solve the problem is to have a fix at
the root. I think it is easier to relax the some of the ND
parameters.

Thank you,
Syam

    Erik