Syam Madanapalli wrote:

I am not sure if this works.
Let us say the router lifetime is X seconds
and the host wakes up every Y seconds to retrieve
any packets from the AP/BS.
If Y > X then we are not solving the problem.

I think you need to explain what would fail in that case.

In my simple view of the word, when the host wakes up the software is told (or notices by watching the clock tick) that it has been sleep for 4 hours.
It then notices that the router lifetime expired one hour ago.
Instead of just removing the router from the default router list and doing nothing else it invokes DNA (which in its simplest form is to send a RS and wait for a RA). FRD can help shorten the time to get the RA assuming the AP/BS knows from L2 when the host wakes up.

Thus the host would just apply a bit of slack time after it has woken up before it starts timing out state (that would normally have timed out while the host was sleeping.)

This doesn't change any protocol; for IP on the access router it looks like the host disconnected and reconnected.

Even if we want use FRD, it still useful to increase
the router lifetime hence the periodic RA's interval.

Sure. Increasing the periodic RA interval wouldn't hurt, especially if the host can detect when it might be connecting to a different AR (using DNA).

   Erik