[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
From: Alexandru Petrescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: 2006/08/24 Thu AM 07:41:21 CDT To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Cc: Tony Hain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, 'Ralph Droms' <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Subject: Re: Prefix Delegation using ICMPv6

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In some cases, customers may wish to have an alternative to the existing mechanism (WHY they wish to have it is a separate question, THAT they do is an issue which helped inform the writing of our draft).
I am not opposed to doing something different, but there needs to be something more than a wish to back it up.
Thanks Tony. Please keep in mind the ICMPv6 PD mechanism we propose and the current DHCPv6 PD are not mutually exclusive (I realize you're not saying they are).

A real reason why the ICMPv6 PD mechanism is proposed is THAT customers have asked for it.
Customers of what? Customers at home for ISP and DSL? Customers of netlmm deployments? Customers of mobile routers?

Hi Alex, please note that we will be including more such details in future revisions of our draft.

Before doing that, and if you wish a WG to support your document, you
could describe in a few words how you see it.  I've asked DSL, netlmm or
mobile routers.  You could say maybe 1 not 2 and maybe 3, or so.  That
will help myself better understand where the document is headed.

If the intention is to get this document through a WG then the WG should
support it.

You could mention a little more of the customer landscape you see, in current IETF effort terms, and still stay technical.

Absolutely.** Covering both (technical and justification issues) is what we as a group should do.

Before writing the doc text, what do you currently think?  DSL-type of
deployment?  netlmm-type?  Mobile router type?

Alex