On Sat, 16 Sep 2006, Eric Klein wrote:
On September 16, 2006 00:26 Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
On the other hand, is it good for a standards organization to leave important technical details unspecified and assume tradition and interoperability testing will take care of the difference?

I think not, real question is do we want implicit or explicit standards? I vote for explicit

No, the real question is, "how do we want the spend the time and energy in the IETF?", in other words, is this obvious enough that making explicit guidance isn't worth our time (as there is probably a lot of other things that the IETF and its participants could be doing).